You are what you Eat – and Drink!
This section will arm you with the information you need to combine healthy eating – and drinking – with your training.
Diet is an important part of any successful athlete's preparations because, when allied with exercise, it can:
- Help you to lose or maintain your ideal weight;
- Tone your muscles;
- Improve your health.
But, you also need to:
- Identify your nutritional goals;
- Devise a healthy eating plan.
- Throughout your training period, make sure your diet contains a good mix of carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals and bread;
- Eat a carbohydrate snack 2 to 3 hours before you exercise to top up your energy stores;
- You should drink to prevent thirst rather than because of it. If you are thirsty you are already dehydrated and your performance will be affected;
- Take a drink with you when you exercise;
- Start your recovery as soon as a training session has finished. Rehydrate and follow this up with a high carbohydrate meal within two hours of stopping.
Visit the other pages in this section for more detailed information.