Keep a check on your heart
- Find your natural starting point by recording your morning pulse rate;
- Sudden rises in your rate are signs that you are putting your body under too much
- A good quality heart rate monitor is a sensible addition to your kit.
Listen to your body
- Give yourself time to adapt to new training demands;
- Pushing too hard too soon can lead to injury;
- Small increases are the key to success.
Know your limits
- Take a break from training if you have an infection or illness;
- Don't be alarmed if you find you can't return at the same level after a lay-off;
- Never walk through injuries - it only makes them worse and slows down the natural
See your doctor or a physio if you develop any aches or pains that don't clear
up quickly on their own. If you suffer from repeated minor injuries see a doctor
or sports injury specialist - your walking style may be adding to your problems.
Learn from your experience by keeping a
Training Diary, which will help you monitor the progress you are making. See the
page for full details.